Director of Admissions and Enrollment Management / Director of Marketing
St. Clair County Community College (Port Huron, Michigan) – May 2016 to February 2022
- I was responsible for developing and executing the college’s Admissions and Enrollment Management plan, including outreach to multiple student demographics: dual enrollment/early college, high school graduates, adult/non-traditional students, and non-credit/personal enrichment students.
- I was Director of Marketing from Nov. 2016 to Nov. 2017 and from Feb. 2020 to Jul. 2021 and aligned the college’s marketing efforts with our enrollment management goals, including expanding the use of targeted digital advertising and strategic social media efforts.
- I designed the theme, provided custom front-end programming and back-end implementation for the college’s website, and served as Webmaster, using WordPress as the content management system.
- I was also Director of Testing, establishing placement cut scores in cooperation with faculty, updating policy records in Ellucian Colleague, and supervising the operations of the college’s Testing Center.
- I completed ATIXA Title IX training for Civil Rights Investigator Level One.
- Other titles: Director of Recruitment & Career Services (May 2016-Oct. 2016); Director of Admissions and Marketing (Nov. 2016-Nov. 2017 and Feb. 2020-Jul. 2021); Director of Admissions (Dec. 2017-Jan. 2020).
Academic Advisor and Recruiter
St. Clair County Community College (Port Huron, Michigan) – July 2013 to May 2016
- I assisted community college students with scheduling, degree completion, transfer planning, and academic success. I provided information to and answered questions from local high school counselors and teachers. I was also the college’s liaison to several Michigan colleges and universities, working to improve the transferability of classes and establish formal articulation agreements. I developed strong relationships with hundreds of individual students, college faculty and staff, and community members.
St. Clair County Community College (Port Huron, Michigan) – 1997 to 2004 and 2008 to 2016
- From November 2008 to May 2016, I taught Fundamentals of Acting, Intermediate Acting, Improvisation and Role Play, and Oral Interpretation courses. I revised and developed course abstracts for those and other theater courses. I was the Artistic Director for the college’s four student theater productions each academic year, selecting the plays to be performed and preparing budgets. I also served as Technical Director.
- From 1997 to 2004, I taught computer training courses and seminars for the college’s Workforce Training division, including Microsoft Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
Owner and Creative Director
Tom Kephart Communications LLC (Mount Pleasant and Marine City, Michigan) – 1987 to present
- I’m a writer and editor of marketing and technical content, including service and operating manuals and technical literature; advertising copy for radio, television, and print; and corporate presentations. I’m also an experienced graphic designer of marketing and advertising materials, including magazine and newspaper ads, full-color product brochures, catalogs, and other print collateral.
H.B. Stubbs Companies (Warren, Michigan) – 2008
- I was responsible for marketing communications for a company that designed and fabricated trade show exhibits and environmental displays, including museum work and corporate lobby displays. I set goals for and implemented marketing and public relations strategies; I was the webmaster and editor of the corporate website and the internal employee intranet. I was responsible for designing and creating formal proposal responses to RFPs and other brand identity standards.
Public Access & Government Affairs Coordinator
Comcast (New Haven, Michigan) – 2006 to 2007
- I managed the Lake Huron System public access channel, including scheduling programs, producing and directing television coverage of local events, maintenance of equipment, and supervision of production staff. I also assisted with government affairs tasks, including interaction with local and state elected officials and their staff on franchising and other issues.
Documentation Department Supervisor
Cardell Corporation (Rochester Hills, Michigan) – 1996 to 1997
- I created the Documentation Department at a Tier 2 automotive supplier to Ford and Chrysler in preparation for the company’s QS9000/ISO9001 compliance inspection. I organized existing documentation and wrote a Documentation Control Manual that met QS9000 standards. I also supervised a staff of two technical writers and managed the department’s budget. The department was also responsible for digitally storing and cataloging company documents.
Northwood University (Midland, Michigan) – 1994 to 1995
- I taught a course on using personal computers in commercial art and graphic design using PageMaker software. I developed course materials, assignments, and tests and managed student records.
WHGR-AM & WJGS-FM (Houghton Lake, Michigan) – 1984 to 1985
- I hosted a midday shift for an Adult Contemporary and Local News/Talk station (WHGR) and weekend shifts for a Top 40 station (WJGS). Responsibilities included newscasts, hosting a daily community affairs program, commercial copywriting and production, music playlist selection, football play-by-play, and developing and hosting promotional events.
WCFX-FM (Clare/Mount Pleasant, Michigan) – 1983 to 1984 and 1985 to 1989
- I hosted afternoon, evening, and overnight shifts for an Adult Contemporary station. Responsibilities included newscasts, commercial copywriting and production, promotions, and live remotes.
Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (MACRAO) – November 2019 to present
- I led one of Michigan’s leading organizations for student services professionals. I served as president-elect in 2020 and president in 2021. I also chaired the MACRAO committee on enrollment management, served as the web editor for the association, and was instrumental in organizing virtual and in-person statewide conferences. I also implemented MACRAO’s move to an online membership management system (MemberClicks).
Michigan Community College Admissions Directors (MCCAD) – June 2019 to November 2020
- Organized the annual MCCAD Conference at our college in 2018. Assisted with a move to more regular virtual meetings in 2020.
Advisory and Grants Committee Member
Blue Water Arts Committee of the Community Foundation of St. Clair County (Port Huron, Michigan) – 2007 to 2013
- I worked on establishing guidelines and procedures for a new fine arts funding group, part of the Community Foundation of St. Clair County. I’ve also served on the grants subcommittee, responsible for determining funding for grant applications from local arts organizations.
Actor, Director, Designer, Technician, Board President
St. Clair Theatre Guild (Saint Clair, Michigan); Port Huron Civic Theatre (Port Huron, Michigan); Theatre Sarnia (Sarnia, Ontario); The Borderline Theatre Group (Marine City, Michigan) – 2001 to present
- I’ve worked on 59 live theater productions, directing 39 of them. Genres have included comedy, drama, and musical theater. I’ve also done set, lighting, sound design, and other technical theater tasks. I served as an adjudicator for high school theater competitions.
Producer, Director, Sports Commentator, Program Host
CTV – St. Clair Community Television (Saint Clair, Michigan) – 2001 to 2012
- I’ve been a play-by-play announcer and color commentator for high school soccer and football for Marine City and St. Clair High Schools. I’ve produced, directed, and hosted other public interest programs and served as a camera operator and graphic designer for a local public, educational, and government (PEG) cable channel.
American Youth Soccer Organization (AYSO) – Region 673 (East China, Michigan) – 2000 to 2003
- I was responsible for a year-round youth soccer program (over 600 players aged 4 to 18), including budgeting, equipment purchases, team formation, scheduling, management of grants and donations for a major field construction project, and volunteer training and supervision.
- Web & Print Graphics: Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, InDesign
- Content Management Systems: WordPress, Drupal, MemberClicks Oasis
- Customer Relationship Management: Insightly, MailChimp, Constant Contact
- Student Information Systems: Ellucian Colleague
- Collaboration and Meeting Platforms: Microsoft Teams, Zoom, GoToMeeting, Slack
- Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook
- Video & Audio: Adobe Premiere and Audition, Apple iMovie, and GarageBand; PreSonus Studio One
- Operating Systems: Windows, MacOS, Android, iOS
- Theatrical lighting and sound equipment, and power tools
Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts
Central Michigan University (Mount Pleasant, Michigan)
Double major in Geography and Earth Science, with a concentration in Cartography
Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
University of Michigan – Flint (Flint, Michigan) – completion date: May 2024
Concentration in American Culture